How does BlockCollider improves democracy? [+PR opportunity]

How do you envision BlockCollider helping democracy forward ? Do you believe in democracy in the first place ?
+
PR opportunity:

1 Like

Do a quick google search: DADI plagiarism.

Forget about DADI for a second. On the topic itself, I think any interoperability project has a role to play in democracy. Full scale adoption needs to happen though, with state actors embracing the technology for the below to be possible.

1. The obvious culprit: Voting. Speed is of the essence if voting needs to be on blockchain. One cannot expect a voter to wait for all crypto kitties to stop playing before his/ her vote goes through. At the same time, identity probably is better stored on a different blockchain. To check the identity and then allow the voter to cast their ballot, a solution which operates across those two blockchains would be needed. From a BC point of view, given the large scale usage (think elections in the USA or India), marked tokens might have a role to play to optimise cost for the government?

2. Relates to another topic which was previously discussed relating to fake news. I am not sure if cleaning up the world wide web of fake news is even a worthy attempt, given the many subjective and objective challenges. But, once the sample set is more finite, this can really become powerful. Imagine a situation where most government services are on the blockchain. It becomes much more easy and objective to fact-check the political parties and hold governments to their manifestos in an inherently trustless manner.

3. As mentioned above, most government services can be on chain. I will take the example of the developing world. One of the most effective ways (economists very passionately argue for and against this) of transferring subsidies to the neediest is to make direct cash transfers through the financial system. I would assume that blockchain interoperability can help establish the identity, the “neediness” and effect the transfers leveraging different blockchains for the same. It is also an unfortunate reality of our times that corruption is rampant across the board. So, this setup also brings about transparency in terms of actual impact created. Am I confident that this will be the case in the near future? Let me rephrase. Am I confident that the corrupt will adopt a tech that will seriously hinder them in their corruption? Topic for another day

4. Bleed. The whistle-blower feature we have built into BC in its existing form can be an extremely valuable tool to hold our public representatives accountable.

There are many other uses that come to mind. The potential of blockchain as a technology, especially when interoperable, is limitless. But, we first need more widespread financial adoption. And then hope that the decentralised financial systems mount enough pressure on the centralised power corridors to embrace the technology. I continue to be hopeful, but not overly optimistic. Not yet.

KD

PS: Not a techie… but then, I am an Emblem. I should know.

4 Likes

Awesome. This was the type of reply I was hoping for. Very well explained points <3
Multichain operations will definitely be needed in the future. And without validators makes it all even better.

1 Like