How fast do Marked tokens get consumed by the multichain?

For the purposes of this question, I am not concerned about the blockchain that the marked token represent. So, let’s call the blockchain XYZ, and therefore the marked tokens M-XYZ. Also time can be represented by the number of multichain blocks instead of minutes/hours. This is an exercise to help understand how marked tokens are affected by external factors.

Imagine that the M-XYZ tokens are deployed by entities that want fast execution/confirmation block times on the multichain.

1. How quickly would the multichain incorporate the M-XYZ tokens into a multichain block header if there is no network congestion?
  2. Could a network congestion of hundreds/thousands of M-XYZ tokens on the multichain cause a delay in how quickly M-XYZ tokens are added to a multichain block header? Think of CriptoKitties.
  3. Could a network congestion of hundreds/thousands of M-ETH tokens on the multichain cause a delay in how quickly M-XYZ tokens are added to a multichain block header? Again, think of CriptoKitties.
  4. Does the amount or a congestion of regular NRG transactions affect the number of M-XYZ tokens that can be added to a block header?
2 Likes

2nd and third questions are the same?

Sounds like it, but no. The 2nd question is only concerned with the number of M-XYZ tokens (or marked tokens). The 4th question refers to regular old crosschain transactions that require NRG miner fees to execute, and how this would affect ability of M-XYZ tokens to be added to a block :slight_smile:.

1 Like

of course, but i was talking about the 2nd and the third (not the 4th) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha, sorry, misread. The only difference between 2 and 3, is that M-ETH are being introduced as a throttling factor instead of just M-XYZ.

1 Like

ah… i see, thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I honestly don’t know if there is a public answer out there. Let’s see if @Exposed2u knows?

1 Like

Hey Roumanis,

1. The marked tokens have a byte flag associated with them which makes them parseable by rovers. The marked token transaction is stored in the Block Collider blockchain’s database as a part of the header of a block. But that would only occur after a successful transaction on the member chain, so really its when that occurs. It will be as fast as the multichain including a member chain block.

2. The congestion would occur on the member chain first, like cryptokitties. If transactions arent being pulled into a block due to congestion, the multichain and rovers arent picking up the state change. The multichain will mine as fast as blocks are made available to rovers to mine into the multichain.

3. Same answer as above.

4. I imagine it would, if there is not space left in the block, you cant fit more information. Im not entirely sure what would take precedence in that case.

So basically marked tokens are something to use in meta-contracts written for Block Collider. Ie state change on Chain A triggers something on Block Collider.

Pat described it in telegram previously. A standard set up without the use of marked tokens would look like the following:

So for instance lets say some event occurs on chain A which you have a meta-contract written for on the collider. The event could be any state change on chain A like “send chain A coin” or “redeem chain A coin” etc. In order for this event to execute you would need to pay the chain A fees to cause the state change on chain A. IN addition, you would have some fee for the resulting trigger on Block Collider’s own blockchain.

With the use of marked tokens:

HOWEVER if you used marked tokens with the event the fee on Block Collider is exponentially lower or free because the marked token transaction is stored in the Block Collider blockchain’s database as a part of the header of a block. Where as other transactions are not natively stored what is necessary for an SPV lite client.

What im reading from Pats breakdown is that as the transaction is seen as “native” to the multichain, is that the subsequent trigger on the collider is cheaper or free. It is a more efficient/cheaper way of confirming that a state change has happened and triggering the event.

Who benefits? Those who look to reduce their overall fees and overhead from having to have high frequency of state changes. This is why Pat points to DEXs as a prime example. Another one would be where there is a need to load balance across different chains, which would require constant monitoring and perhaps triggers to ensure the load balance is being effectively handled with as little over head as possible.

5 Likes

I hope that isnt confusing. One of the team can correct me if im wrong as well.

3 Likes

Thank you @Exposed2u this is fantastic. I really wanted to understand marked tokens in greater detail, and this info really helps.

For questions 1, 2, and 3, it makes perfect sense that the member chains have to first complete their side of the workload. Meaning that congestion depends on the member chains themselves.

For question 4, it seems like this will be something that we will understand more once the NRG transactions and Marked tokens are being used. Makes sense.

Thank you for including Patrick’s examples. His explanation is actually one of the reasons why I am so fascinated with the way in which marked tokens can be used by institutions that require high frequency state changes. This is a great exercise to help sharpen my thoughts on use cases to trigger events. Thanks again!

2 Likes

Not in the slightest. As always, your explanations are perfectly clear!

2 Likes

thank you @Exposed2u … that was a good explanation :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Definitely good thought experiments to have. There are many many nuances to Block Collider and potential use cases that we haven’t even thought up yet.

I feel like I should go through the telegram history and find some of the more interesting questions asked. Marked tokens definitely came up a lot. Would be nice to compile the more interesting questions and thought experiments on embnation.

2 Likes

It’s especially nice to have a discussion thread that is focused. I bet there are loads of great examples thought experiments that could be migrated over to EMB Nation.

IN the meantime, if anyone has any more thoughts or questions on Marked tokens, keep the questions coming in the thread.

1 Like