How Timble was Named

I thought I would share my thoughts as to why I viewed Tim Burners-Lee as someone who represents Block Collider’s technological goals, firm ethics, and clear vision. These characteristics made me think that Block Collider’s scripting language could be personified by the spirit of this extraordinary individual. To begin with, Burners-Lee invented the World Wide Web, the first website, the first web browser, and the underlying algorithms and protocols that allow the web to scale. These accomplishments established a rapid evolution in humanity’s ability to communicate instantly across the globe.

On a technological level, Block Collider has primarily been compared to the World Wide Web’s ability to create connections between websites. As a blockchain infrastructure layer, Block Collider creates connections between disparate blockchains through the multichain. This underlying framework establishes a connected ecosystem where information can be transferred in real-time from one blockchain to another. Perhaps the most obvious area of interoperable development lies in the ability of blockchains to connect with decentralized applications that are built on the multichain. However, like the internet, the interconnected framework of the multichain can create an abundance of unforeseen innovations. Imagine for a moment what the world would look like without the interconnection of computing devices that are embedded in everyday objects, allowing them to send and receive data through the internet. Similarly to the public’s narrow understanding of the World Wide Web in 1991, the future implications of blockchain interoperability are limited only by our familiarity within the technological confines of 2019.

“Most of the technology involved in the web, like the hypertext, like the internet, multifont text objects, had all been designed already. I just had to put them together. It was a step of generalising, going to a higher level of abstraction, thinking about all the documentation systems out there as being possibly part of a larger imaginary documentation system.” - Tim Burners-Lee

On an ethical level, Berners-Lee shares many of the same principles that Block Collider has unwaveringly followed. Similarly to Block Collider’s ethos of open sourcing Borderless and the multichain’s code, Berners-Lee made the World Wide Web freely available without involving royalties or patents, famously announcing to the world that “this is for everyone.” Also, as one of the loudest voices in favour of net neutrality, Berners-Lee shares the same moral compass that make it impossible for Block Collider to ever sanction validators. Burners-Lee believes that net-neutrality is a basic human right, and that internet service providers and governments should neither monitor, throttle, or control the browsing activities of individuals without consent.

In the early days of the internet, “the spirit there was very decentralized. The individual was incredibly empowered. It was all based on there being no central authority that you had to go to to ask permission. That feeling of individual control, that empowerment, is something we’ve lost. The power of the Web wasn’t taken or stolen. We, collectively, by the billions, gave it away…” - Tim Burners-Lee

Today, Burners-Lee envisions a world where the individual can take back control of their personal identity online. To accomplish this, he is leveraging blockchain as a means of decentralizing the internet through a project at MIT called Solid. Personal data ownership is achieved on the Solid platform through an interwoven group of decentralized applications that are under the complete control of the individual. This vision is in perfect synchronization with Block Collider’s aim to empower individuals with the ability to control their own funds and assets. It is an underlying social change that has been described by Patrick as an “opportunity for people to take the next step in personal management, self-ownership, and self-empowerment.”

On February 25, as I read through an excellent list of scientific terms that would each eloquently represent Block Collider’s scripting language in their own right, my gut drew me to Tim Burners-Lee. Throughout history, major events, when intertwined with a human interest story, have a lasting impact on the ways in which people can relate to and truly understand their significance. Block Collider’s scripting language may seem hidden within the confines of a massively ambitious project, however, each task that is executed with this scrip will resonate throughout an interwoven network of blockchains and technological systems for decades to come. May the core of Tim Burners-Lee’s drive, ethics, and vision guide each and every one of us as we shape the future together with the help of Timble.

8 Likes

I should add… When I suggested Burners-Lee’s nickname, TimBL, @miwmiw had the brilliant idea of adding an extra ‘e’, and Timble was placed into the voting pool.

2 Likes

Adding the e makes it have such a nice ring to it!

1 Like

Great article you wrote there. Always a pleasure to add knowledge and understand even better the origin of a name, specially if it’s the scripting language BC uses.
Did anybody try to reach him to tell him a languge was named after him ?

2 Likes

Thanks! Glad you liked it.

1 Like

Great Read. The name truly reflects BC’s vision.

1 Like